VMware Communities
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM instance UUID conflict

Hello,

I built a workstation (windows 7) and then downloaded the entire directory to save the image.  Then I uploaded the same same directory with a different name back to the same host.  I got a alarm from my Veeam monitoring about the "VM instance UUID conflict"  Then a few minutes later, I got another alarm saying it resolves itself"

changed from () to (5038719b-8c24-7512-5de9-ceec14eea29c)

I was about to do the following on this KB below but I am not sure if I have to do it based on the resolved message.  How can I very a UUID of the workstation?

VMware KB: Editing a virtual machine with a duplicate UUID.bios

TT

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I am assuming UUID are generated the same way in Workstation as they are in ESX/ESXi based on the machine name and the directory where the VM's files are stored. That is why you have the conflict - it looks like workstation recognized the issue and generated a new UUID - I would power off the VM and power it back on and see if your still get the initial error.

The link you provided actually references VI Infrastructure so it might not apply wo Workstation.

I have also moved your question to the Workstation forum.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos