VMware Communities
BrianLS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM hostnames and DNS

Hello -

I feel like this is pretty simple but I'm not able to make this work.  I just want to create a vm on my workstation and have the hostname resolvable by other computers on my network.  My vm is getting an ip address from the dhcp server on my physical network, so why isn't the hostname registered in my network's dns?

Running workstation pro 16 and Win11.  Thank you.

Brian.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is your DHCP server set to perform dynamic updates? Is the DNS server set to accept such requests?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is your DHCP server set to perform dynamic updates? Is the DNS server set to accept such requests?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In addition to @scott28tt comments . . . I would suggest that you note the VMs DHCP IP address, and then take a look at the DHCP server to confirm the hostname that has been attributed to the VMs IP.  The associated name might have been concatenated.

0 Kudos
BrianLS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome.  I did a little research based on your questions.  Turns out that the router I bought a few years ago (Arris AX11000) does not support DDNS.  That really does answer a number of questions for me - Thanks for the helpful response.

0 Kudos