VMware Communities
ImportantWindow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM have direct connection to the host GPU?

I'm using VMware workstation 15.5, is my host GPU directly connected to my VM GPU? I set to 3GB for fast speeds as its max it can support currently. If my VM crash or BSOD by any means, my host can also crash? I did checked the information base related to this on VMware's help page, however I found nothing related to my question last time I checked. How VM GPU works exactly?

Host Windows 10 1903 professional

VM Windows 8.1 professional

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The only VMware product which has PCI passthrough capability is vSphere/ESXi.  None of the hosted products do.  Your virtual machine runs using an emulated graphics adapter - and the VMware Tools package contains the drivers for that video card.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In my humble 10+ years of using Workstation, I have never seen a BSOD crash in the guest or a BSOD in the host clearly due to running WS. I have seen WS guests hang (mostly linux guests), and I have seen the WS GUI disappear (while the machine was still running in the background, running WS again restores the UI so no work is lost). WS imho is a very mature product and so I think you are safe using it with confidence that you won't lose any work due to a sudden crash. However, from what I read it is advisable to leave room for the host to schedule things (so if e.g. you have 4 core CPU, assign only 2 on the guest)  and also leave ample RAM for the host (i.e. assign as little RAM for the guests as possible - unless you have 8+ GB of ram installed).

Regarding the GPU, to my knowledge WS does not use it directly, but uses a special driver included in the VMware Tools, so the simple answer is that  the guests do not have low-level access to the host's GPU and the risks for BSODs are minimal. This is not the case when you do need to use the host's GPU directly in a guest (for e.g. AI work) and you use GPU pass-through, where unpredictable things may happen. So, for normal WS use I think you are pretty safe to experiment.

0 Kudos
ImportantWindow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply, so it is safe to gaming in a workstation VM?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The only VMware product which has PCI passthrough capability is vSphere/ESXi.  None of the hosted products do.  Your virtual machine runs using an emulated graphics adapter - and the VMware Tools package contains the drivers for that video card.

0 Kudos