VMware Communities
Filiecs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM causes host to start freezing at seemingly random intervals.

I have recently started using VMware and have really enjoyed it thus far.

However, it seems that my Linux Mint 19 virtual machine will occasionally flash in the taskbar as if it was trying to notify me of something and then almost immediately begin causing my entire Windows 10 computer to begin skipping. I need to forcibly kill the VM and VMWare with the Task Manager, which is very difficult when your computer is chugging.

Lowering the number of resources the VM could use helped a bit when needed to kill the process, but it shouldn't be causing these random freezes in the first place.

Sometimes this happens after only 30 minutes of use, sometimes this doesn't happen or many many hours, and I have yet to find a predictable cause.

Could someone tell me where I can find logs that may explain the issue or if this a known issue, and how to resolve it?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
aussieklutz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had some issues recently, and some of us disabled Virtualisation Based Security (VBS) on our hosts, by disabling HyperV Virtualisation in BCDEDIT. So long as those people booted without HyperV, they avoided the issues.... Until policies were applied to enforce VBS...

0 Kudos
Drewpeanuts-19
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issues and I'm not sure what you're referring to as the solution. 

My VMs will freeze randomly. When I suspend and resume the machine it shows my seemingly frozen VM was capturing keystrokes but not seen in console until I resumed the VM. 

32gb ram, i7-11 gen processor, 3060ti, 2tb SSD sata 

0 Kudos