VMware Communities
pctechtv1
Contributor
Contributor

VM cannot join HOMEGROUP

I have set up a VMWARE Workstation hypervisor (Workstation version 12.1). After setting it up I tried to connect to the hosts Homegroup. After not being able to successfully join I looked online. Information I found said that you can’t do this because the host and hypervisor share the same IP address. Is this information correct? How would you get around this or is there a better way to do what I want? Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well it's not possible for 2 devices on the same network to have the same ip address. I think you were referring to 'Bridged Networking' which is something else.

I can't see any reason why a guest couldn't access a hosts network shares unless the guest was being blocked (host firewall issue perhaps)?

Can you browse the Host's network shares from the Guest (in Explorer go to Network and find the Host. Can you see it? If you click on the host what happens?)

0 Kudos
pctechtv1
Contributor
Contributor

I can access the network. I cannot access the HOMEGROUP via the setup where you add the password. Thanks

0 Kudos
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you browse the Host's network shares from the Guest (in Explorer go to Network and find the Host. Can you see it? If you click on the host what happens?)
0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Are you talking about joining an active directory domain? Because you don't need a password to join a network GROUP.

You need to change your virtual network adapter setting of the VM from NAT to bridged.

When using NAT, your VM uses your host as it's default gateway and can't be reached from the outside, so joining AD will fail.

When you use bridged, you can configure a normal IP from your local subnet to the VM, so the VM is seen as a normal device on your network.

Tim

0 Kudos
pctechtv1
Contributor
Contributor

I am referring to this.

Cannot access HOMEGROUP

Thanks

0 Kudos
pctechtv1
Contributor
Contributor

I can access the network via a shared network folder. It is that when I try to join the Windows Homegroup for my network and set of computer we work with I cannot. Thanks

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Do you use NAT or bridged network adapter in the VM?

0 Kudos
pctechtv1
Contributor
Contributor

I use NAT. Thanks

0 Kudos
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried Bridged?

The Host's main and NAT ip addresses are different. Seeing as the homegroup was setup on the host outside the NAT network, I doubt that you would be able to access the homegroup from inside the NAT network when the host has a different ip address to what it was when the homegroup was configured. Try pinging the hosts main ip address (ie. not the NAT address) and see what happens.

0 Kudos
pctechtv1
Contributor
Contributor

That is some great advice, I will do that. So to be clear I am looking for the one that is not "IS" similar to my hosts IP? Correct? Thanks

0 Kudos