VMware Communities
RedCricket
Contributor
Contributor

VM can ping laptop but laptop cannot ping VM

I have a Linux VM running on Workstation 9 on my Windows 7 laptop.

I am also using a VPN to access my work network.

my lap top has this network info:

C:\Users\red>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : xxxxx.com
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::709e:73cb:3d7e:9992%19
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.21.70.191
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.21.64.1
The VM running on Workstation 9 has this network info:
fron /sbin/ifconfig eth1
IPv4 addr is 192.168.201.128
Netmask is 255.255.255.0
Nothing exotic.
I can logon to console of my VM and ping 10.21.70.191 no problem,
but I cannot ping 192.168.201.128 from my laptop (10.21.70.191).
I have tried adding the route by executing:
route add 10.0.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.201.1
but that doesn't seem to help.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please confirm there's no active firewall on the guest which blocks ICMP (ping) traffic.

André

0 Kudos
RedCricket
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply Smiley Happy I do not think there is a firewall issue since I can ping from the VM to the laptop, but I did turn off my laptop's security software and I still cannot ping from the laptop to the VM.  Do you know how I should confirm that there are no firewall issues?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What I was thinking of is a firewall in the Linux guest. Often default installation block ICMP.

André

0 Kudos
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You just trun off your guest machine firewall that may help..

0 Kudos
RedCricket
Contributor
Contributor

I am pretty certain that there is no firewall running on my guest OS (the linux vm running in workstation 9). Running iptables -L shows no rules and I was able to connect/ping/ssh to the VM yesterday when I was directly connected to my employer's network.  Today I am having to use a VPN. I could probably make it work by  "restoring defaults" in the Virtual Network Editor, but I was hoping to avoid doing that since I have to shutdown the VM.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, I think I missed the VPN connection. Depending on the VPN client you use, you may need to configure an exception or a route in the VPN client to be able to directly access the guest.

André

0 Kudos
RedCricket
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies Smiley Happy

I am not sure how I could do that ("configure an exception or a route in the VPN client") but I did just bite the bullet and hit the "Restore Defaults" button in the virtual network editor and now I am able to ping my VM and ssh to it, but the IP address of the VM has changed.  I was hoping to avoid the IP address change as I now have to go update some of files.

So there was no firewall issue and I didn't need to make any config changes to my VPN.

What I had to do was use the reinstall the network component of VM workstation 9 by

clicking "restore default" button in the virt. net. editor, but this causes a IP address

change on my VM.

How could I have avoided doing the "restore defaults" and IP address change?

0 Kudos