VMware Communities
ninoz
Contributor
Contributor

VM Workstation using Physical Drive - CPU Shutdown state

I have a number of systems which are dual boot setup, i usually create a VM on each machine to boot the other i.e. in windows I will create a virtual machine and add the partition of the physical drive so it boots the physical linux.  Ive been having some issues with my Windows 7 Desktop.  When I tried to add the phsyical drive I would get the following error on boot:

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation.Click OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine

I tried to debug the error and in the end just gave up!  I then started suffering BSODs so formatted by desktop and found that the above error had solved itself (im not sure how).  Finally i moved to a SSD and again reinstalled windows.7 only to find the above error is back!!!!

If i remove the physical drive from the VM it boots fine (all be it with no OS) as soon as i add any physical drive it get the error again.

System setup is:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
VMware Version 8.0.1 build-528992

Attached is a log of the VM crash, its quite frustrating as the setup of both Windows.7 systems is pretty much the same!

0 Kudos
0 Replies