VMware Communities
qsnow
Contributor
Contributor

VM Workstation running on Windows 7 - Networking

I was running Windows Vista with VM Workstation 6.5.2 on it. I upgraded my machine to Windows 7 and since then, it appears that the VM Workstation Networking Adapters no longer function.

Does anyone have a fix for this yet?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes... wait until Windows 7 is a Supported host OS.

0 Kudos
jeffhochberg
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an ETA for when there will be a version of VMware workstation that supports Windows 7? Will it be a major release? Or will it be a maintenance release?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
bscarr
Contributor
Contributor

What a specious answer! How does your response help the questioner?

I too am having problems with networking. Networking was working correctly with Workstation when Win7 RC was a host. Now, after I've upgraded to the RTM, networking is no longer working. I suspect that the original questioner is having the same experience.

So, is this a known issues? Your flippant answer would suggest it is. Are they any workarounds? If so, what are they? And when can we expect a fix?

Regards

Barry Carr

0 Kudos
qsnow
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't use any of the W7 RCs... I went straight from Vista to W7 RTM -- networking broke immediately after the upgrade to W7. I have not tried uninstalling VM Workstation and reinstalling as I have a feeling that's not gonna work.... And I was too lazy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bscarr
Contributor
Contributor

I was considering reinstalling too, just incase it needed to rediscover

something. But after playing with the Virtual Network Editor and getting

an error 83 (a very helpful error message, I must say) I suspect a

reinstall won't work. Perhaps RDPetruska could elaborate?

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert

qsnow,

How many network adapters do you have in your Host?

0 Kudos
bscarr
Contributor
Contributor

I bit the bullet and tried a re-installation of WorkStation, it worked! Networking functionality now seems to be working properly.

Regards

Barry

0 Kudos
qsnow
Contributor
Contributor

Hah.... Shouldn't be that simple Smiley Happy

I will give it a shot momentarily....

0 Kudos
qsnow
Contributor
Contributor

I did a repear and it looks to have brought networking back to a certain degree.. I have most of my VMs running in NAT mode. This doesn't seem to work correctly for me (can't get the machines to get out)... If I change them to bridged mode, they obtain an address and work fine.

Can you confirm if NAT mode is working on yours after the reinstall?

0 Kudos
bscarr
Contributor
Contributor

NAT mode didn't work for me either. I only discovered this because I tried NAT mode before I reinstalled, I generally use bridged mode.

Cheers

Barry

0 Kudos