VMware Communities
sgudelj
Contributor
Contributor

VM Workstation, do i need intel vPro on my MB?

Hi,

I an building office / small lab - PC witch will have s.1151 i5 and 16-32GB of DDR4 RAM.

OS will be win 10 pro x64. (or maybe windows server if I have budget)

On that i will instal WmWare Workstation Pro. I attend to run 3-6 hosts, nothing fancy.

I know my MB and CPU need Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d).

My question is, do I need vPro tech or not?

Witch chipset do you recomnd? Z270, H110 or something in the middle?

Intel® Product Specification Comparison

Thank you !

Tags (1)
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

What you should be concerned about is

VT-x - this is required for VMware Workstation, ESXi

VT-d - I don't think this is required for VMware Workstation, but required for ESXi if you want device passthrough, such as presenting a qualified network card as a device for the VM. I think some of the earlier generation unlocked i7 (K desktop processors) doesn't have VT-d

EPT - this isn't required but required if you want nested virtualisation, (e.g. VMware Workstation running an ESXi VM or Hyper-V VM, or using ESXi running a Hyper-V VM)

ESXi is a lot more complicated than VMware Workstation.

sgudelj
Contributor
Contributor

I was aiming at intel  i5 7500 witch has all of them: VT-x, VT-d an EPT.

My concern is the right motherboard for the PC.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I don't think you need vPro. What you should be concerned about are the VT-x, VT-d, and EPT in the processor.

Intel is notorious for this kind of marketing. vPro is a marketing terminology; just like Centrino was a marketing terminology more than 10 years ago.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Bluefirestorm is right, vPro is not required at all for VMware Workstation.

The intel i5 7500 sounds fine.

What you want is cores from your CPU, the model mentioned has 4 of them.

Another thing you would want is RAM (the more the merrier) and fast disk.

For a new machine I would say NVMe SSD support highly preferred.

If you are having doubts about the motherboard or system to use, you can always ask here if anybody sees a problem with it.

But be specific about the setup you plan (amount of RAM/disks and what you are going to use it for - the usage scenario)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos