VMware Communities
ChaseD
Contributor
Contributor

VM Workstation - Missing IP Address Field in Guest OS

This is a fresh install of VMware Workstation 6.5.3 and a fresh install of a guest OS Windows 2008 64bit - Enterprise. The network configuration on the Guest OS is a Bridged Connection. The Host computer is a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, has a USB Wireless connection that is connected to the network and an disconnected ethernet connection.

For some reason I cannot get an IP address whether it is static or dhcp. With DHCP it constantly says there is an IP address conflict with every new IP issued. IPConfig simply shows a DNS Suffix and a Gateway address, not a subnet or IP address.

I have tried uninstalling the adapter with no better results

I have attached a screenshot with all relevant information. Please let me know what you think and if you need anymore information. I have never seen anything like this before so I am absolutely stumped.

Thanks for looking,

Chase

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Change the network connection to NAT and IP to DHCP in the guest (you must have the vMWare DHCP server service running). See if that works.

Have you checked that the IP addresses you use are not in use? Even the IP addresses from the DHCP server might be in use if someone else assigned them statically and the DHCP server is not configured to check if a IP address is already in use.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chase,

Welcome to the VMware forums Smiley Happy

This is indeed a rare issue. As you stated, the ethernet connection on the host machine (Windows 7) is disconnected so only one network connection (Wi-Fi) is connected, right?

Could you try the same configuration with the ethernet connection in a connected state to your LAN? And disconnect the Wi-Fi?

I just configured a Windows XP machine on my notebook with just wireless enabled. This worked as it should. Ethernet disconnected just like in your environment.

Looking forward hearing from you,

René

---

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

---

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
ChaseD
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly I do not have the ability to test if the problem exists with a physical ethernet connection

For the question about if the IP Address is actually in use, well even if it is, the main problem should be the IPCONFIG window in the screen shot. It is as if TCP.IP is all messed up, yet I can ping the 127.0.0.1.

The internet does somewhat work on the NAT setting, where I can get out to the internet but no where on my local network, i.e. I cannot connect to nor ping any 10.x addresses.

I was using Vista Ultimate x64 on VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 and I never had the issue. For further testing I am going to install Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as a virtual and see if the problem duplicates. If it does then I am downgrading my VMWare Workstation from 6.5.3 to 6.5.1. I will let you know the results.

0 Kudos
rbos3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ChaseD,

I am currently using VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130 on Windows 7.

Could be the problem Smiley Wink

René

---

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

---

--- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks! Visit my blog at http://snowvm.com ---
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

For the question about if the IP Address is actually in use, well even if it is, the main problem should be the IPCONFIG window in the screen shot. It is as if TCP.IP is all messed up, yet I can ping the

That problem may arise if Windows detects that the IP is already in use on the network. It doesn't allow itself to use it then. 127.0.0.1 works because you have an active TCP/IP stack. That doesn't hit the wire.

The internet does somewhat work on the NAT setting, where I can get out to the internet but no where on my local network, i.e. I cannot connect to nor ping any 10.x addresses.

NAT works by default only for outgoing communication (and the incoming for existing communications). Pings from the guest should work.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
ChaseD
Contributor
Contributor

I have determined the issue is either a default configuration with Windows 7 or something with the AVG Suite. I haven't pin pointed it yet, but I do know that no matter what Guest OS I install, I can only get the network to work if I use VMWare's NAT.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is this problem happening at work? Perhaps your work's network switches are locked down to only allow one MAC address per port?

0 Kudos
ChaseD
Contributor
Contributor

Forced to either upgrade my version of workstation or set the guest OS to NAT

0 Kudos