VMware Communities
Ash1010
Contributor
Contributor

VM Workstation Guest machine does not come online if left alone

Hi , i am having prbolems with guests on vm workstation which doesnt seen to come back to life if left alone for about 15 minutes . If we leave the physical machine switched on with the guest running and go off to a meeting or something for more than 15 minutes , when we come back and logon to physical machine but the guest machine doesnt appear on the screen (normally , after loggin onto to the physical machine we get another login prompt to get into the virtual machine but this doesnt happen) , there are no dekstop background icons just the desktop logo , cannot bring up task manager and can only use the mouse. We have to eventually reboot the machine to bring it up. No hibernation or standby settings are enabled on the both the physical and virtual machines.

Another issue we have had with another virtual machine is that if its left alone over night then and in the morning you can see that there is disk activity on the physical machine but the screens goes off to standy by mode and isnt able to come back from standy mode. Normally you would just move the mouse and the screen should come back with the Logon prompt but it doesnt . If i try and RDP to the physical machine from another machine the screens come back to life.

so i am not sure if there is any onfiguration setting on the virtuals or on the physical which i need to enable / disable in order to get rid of the issues..

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ECardelli
Contributor
Contributor

Bump...

We are getting this issue too, with VM Workstation 7.

Does anyone know why the VMs go into standby when idle for 15 minutes or so?

Again there is no power setting that would account for this on the OS Side...

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which version of VMware Workstation 7 are you running? 7.1 was just released two weeks ago.

What is your Host OS? What is your Guest OS? Can you attach the vmware.log from the directory containing a Guest that exhibits this problem?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Bump...

Does anyone know why the VMs go into standby when idle for 15 minutes or so?

Again there is no power setting that would account for this on the OS Side...

Which OS side? The host OS or the guest OS? You should disable power management in the guest.

0 Kudos