VMware Communities
f1racr
Contributor
Contributor

VM Workstation 6.5.2 stalling

Well I've got an VI4 build coming up and decided to install VM Workstation onto my laptop to build some templates.

Installation went well and created the VM's and then attempted to start them. Everything seemed to be starting, but then I'm just presented with a blank black console window and that's where the system stalls. I can close the vmware-vmx.exe process and it comes up with an error and comes back to life, but trying to start again does the same thing.

Thought I had done something wrong so I ran setup again and ran the repair install, didn't seem to help, then I thought maybe the temporary licence wasn't working and so I put my full licence in and things seemed to work, was able to build a template, but when I closed it down again now I'm going back to it, I've got the same issue. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, also tried installing VM Server 2.0 and had the same issue where VM's wouldn't initialize. Reinstalled Workstation after removing Server 2.0 and still the same issue........... bloody odd..... I'm lost.

Any suggestions on what I can do to troubleshoot the issue ? It's very frustrating.

Laptop is an Acer Ferrari 5000. I've tried upgrading the bios to the latest in case it was some sorta issue with the laptop, but I don't know where to start and have searched and searched the net with no even remotely close issues mentioned.........

0 Kudos
5 Replies
f1racr
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add another couple of notes.

The first is that I've tried creating a new VM with no hard drive to see if it was related to that, however they also don't power up. Won't even show the bios. It does seem like a licence issue, but if I check in the help menu it's happy with the licence and I have both a temporary and 3 full licences, but none work after the initial time it worked.

Here is the log file that is recorded when I go to start the VM. Checks the network interfaces then nothing.

Jun 11 02:35:09.187: vmx| Log for VMware Workstation pid=5932 version=6.5.2 build=build-156735 option=Release

Jun 11 02:35:09.187: vmx| Host codepage=windows-1252 encoding=windows-1252

Jun 11 02:35:09.187: vmx| Hostname=FSLAPTOP

Jun 11 02:35:09.203: vmx| IP=192.168.0.6

Jun 11 02:35:09.203: vmx| IP=192.168.204.1

Jun 11 02:35:09.203: vmx| IP=192.168.149.1

I have to end the vmware-vmx.exe process to get control of the VMWorkstation interface.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What version of Windows are you running on your Host?

How much RAM is installed on your Host?

What AntiVirus are you running on your host? Any other 3rd party firewall or other "security" software installed?

Please attach the vmware.log and .vmx files from the directory containing your Guest.

0 Kudos
f1racr
Contributor
Contributor

2GB, running XP Pro SP3.

It is running a Turion 64 processor, however OS is only 32Bit, have no idea if there's some issues there, but it's really odd it worked once.

Can't even get a VM to fire up with no OS.... won't even post the bios.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What AntiVirus are you running on your host? Any other 3rd party firewall or other "security" software installed?

Please attach the vmware.log and .vmx files from the directory containing your Guest.

0 Kudos
f1racr
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Firewall is disabled and service stopped, only thing I'm running is AVG 8.5 Free version.

I have had an issue with AVG before with not allowing web browsing so I uninstalled it to see if it was causing an issue but it made no difference.

I have attached the .vmx of a new machine I just created. It didn't even create a vmware.log as I don't think it's even getting that far.

0 Kudos