VMware Communities
CassieYu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Workstation 15.5.1: Cannot find the drive specified in the CMD

I have added the share folders in the virtual image, but when I want to use this drive in the command, it will dispaly the error message: Cannot find the drive specified.

The virtual image as WIN10 Pro system. This issue was only reprodued on WIN10 virtual image, not reprdouced on WIN7 virtual image.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there anything special I need to do to invoke the Shared disk from the command?

2020-03-17_19-16-57.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You opened a command prompt as "Administrator".

That's a different user than the user that you are logged in under.

The administrator user does not have the same drive shares as the logged in user.

If you want to access the Z: drive then do not start the command prompt as administrator.

PS: This is not vmware specific, just standard windows security.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Open a command and run "Diskpart", then type "List Disk" and check if the "Z: \" disk is present.

pastedImage_0.png

If you see the "Z: \" disk try running the commands separately:

before:

CD\

and then

Z:

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
CassieYu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ARomeo,

I cannot see the "Z:\" disk in the command. Only the disk "C:\: can be displayed. Smiley Sad

2020-03-17_19-59-57.jpg

Thanks,

Cassie

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You opened a command prompt as "Administrator".

That's a different user than the user that you are logged in under.

The administrator user does not have the same drive shares as the logged in user.

If you want to access the Z: drive then do not start the command prompt as administrator.

PS: This is not vmware specific, just standard windows security.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva