VMware Communities
Paul_Kaplan
Contributor
Contributor

VM WS 6.0 hosts

Does anyone know if WS 6.0 will install and run on a Ubuntu 7.04 host?

Paul

0 Kudos
9 Replies
erichnewell
Contributor
Contributor

I am running WS 6.0 on Feisty generic kernel and it runs great...except that I cannot map shared folders to drives in XP. Other than that, the USB support is much better (2.0!) and everything works as advertised.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Paul,

Yes it will, since it running on my system Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Paul_Kaplan
Contributor
Contributor

Kevin,

I take it that shared folders are working on your system unlike the previous respondent?

Paul

0 Kudos
erichnewell
Contributor
Contributor

Paul,

Just a quick update....Shared Folders work. I can browse to them just fine, I simply cannot map them to drives. Not the end of the world, but highly inconvenient since I previously had many many files and folders linked via a mapped drive. I have a post on it currently if you want to watch for solutions:

http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=642119#642119

\- Erich

0 Kudos
Paul_Kaplan
Contributor
Contributor

Erich,

Thanks for the update.

This shouldn't impact me since it sounds like I use the shared folders a little differently than you. I go to My Network Places, then Add Network Place, and finally point to one of the shared folders. The shared folders are local to my machine, not on my company network so there's no reason to prompt for a password. Company network drives are mapped via Active Directory.

I've always found mapping network drives to letters slows the system down, even in native Win installs, and therefore have been Adding Network Places since W2K.

HTH.

Paul

0 Kudos
erichnewell
Contributor
Contributor

Ah...I am not mapping remote drives. I am trying to use a "shared folder" from the ubuntu host

I have a directory "/srv/WindozeShares/Export" that I use between multiple VMs and the host...

Normally, I map "Z:" to "
.host\Shared Folders\Export" and away I go. Now, I cannot map the drive. It simply continually prompts me for a username and password. What is especially weird is that I can browse there directly.

I've also noticed another symptom in the past few minutes. If I try and save a new file from say UltraEdit, I can browse to "Network -> Entire Network -> VMware Shared Folders -> .host -> Shared Folders -> Export" and save the file just fine. If I attempt this from within Outlook (Save Attachments), I get the same problem as when I try and map a drive.

Very strange.

0 Kudos
Paul_Kaplan
Contributor
Contributor

I think that using Add Network Place will at least eliminate the "->Entire Network -> VMware Shared Folders -> .host -> Shared Folders" part of your exercise and allow you to reach Export directly from Network -> Entire Network.

You would also have the option of putting shortcuts to Export in any commonly accessed folder such as My Documents or Desktop.

Paul

0 Kudos
erichnewell
Contributor
Contributor

Done and Done.

Unfortunately, this also requires updating 1.21 million (exaggeration) other links for executables and whatnot.

As I mentioned before...not the end of the world, but highly annoying and very curious.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Paul_Kaplan
Contributor
Contributor

Bummer.

0 Kudos