VMware Communities
dkelloway
Contributor
Contributor

VM Teams periodically loses the location of a vm or vm's within

I have encountered this frustrating issue with running VMWorkstation 6.5.x on Windows as well as with running VMWorkstation 6.5.x on Linux...

For reference:

I have created several VM Guests, of which I have taken a snapshot of each, confirmed each works perfectly, etc.

Next, I create a VM Team, of which I make each of the VM Guests a member of, after enabling the "Revert to Snapshot" feature for each VM Guest, I Power Off each VM Guest.

Last, I exit the VM Team.

Later, at some point in time, when I decide to return and open the VM Team, I receive a prompt in the form of a question, stating "This team cannot find the member virtual machine" followed by the path and the prompt to either Remove, Cancel or Browse. This doesn't happen for all of the VM's just one or two.

Mind you I can understand the cause of the issue if the path to the VM Guest were incorrect, but it isn't. It is correct and reviewing the contents of the .vmtm file reflects it to be correct.

If I choose to Browse to the location of the .vmx and try to re-add it back to the team, I am informed it's already a member of a team, which then requires me to edit the InTeam value and change it to FALSE (from TRUE, then I add it back to the VM Team. Afterwards all appears to be fine until the cycle repeats itself, sometimes with the same VM Guest, maybe a different VM Guest.

In closing, this issue is extremely frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this issue? More important, is there a permanent resolution?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dkelloway
Contributor
Contributor

Are they any readers of this post who can offer any insight?

0 Kudos
Devan10
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue as well and I am running version 7.0.0 on Windows 7 64bit. Right now I have to remove the missing guest, edit the .VMX file and remove the line inVMTeam = "TRUE", then re-add the VM to the team. Did you have any luck with finding a resolution?

0 Kudos
dkelloway
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to offer your post. More important to confirm that this is in fact an issue within VMWare.

In regards to whether I have found a solution; unfortunately no and as a direct result, I have already begun to look at alternative solutions to replace VMWare Workstation on the five host systems involved...

0 Kudos