VMware Communities
rawyolks
Contributor
Contributor

VM Settings for the smoothest performance (and work in general)

Hi,

I've got to prepare 3 laptops with Windows 10 and most probably Manjaro Xfce.

This will be just a "test drive" so I'll use two older laptops with i5-4300M and i3-5005U CPUs, integrated graphics, and my "workstation" with i7-7700 and GTX1080.

I know that all of these processors feature both VT-x and EPT, so I guess I should check this box in VM settings. But I have no idea what are:

1. CPU performance counters
  2. input–output memory management unit (IOMMU)

And BTW if you have any word of advice, also thank you in advance!

The most important part is that Windows will be running some lower priority services and the most resource demanding tasks are going to be run in unix VM. And no, it can't be other way around Smiley Wink

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I know that all of these processors feature both VT-x and EPT, so I guess I should check this box in VM settings.

No you should not. You only check that checkbox if you want to run a VM within your VM. Most likely that is not the case, so you should _not_ check that as it will slow things down (by a bit).

You also don't need CPU counters and/or IOMMU.

Best settings? I'd say use the defaults.

If you decide to bump up CPUs, then do not assign more than half the physical cores available on your processor. (threads are not physical cores)

As for maximum RAM to use.. same rule of thumb, don't use more than half of what you have in your host.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos