VMware Communities
phoyce
Contributor
Contributor

VM Server 2012 Issue

Hey guys,

Here's the situation.  I'm trying to run Server 2012 as a VM on my Windows 7 laptop.  I've tried setting up the VM every different way I know of but after 2012 installs and starts loading up I get a blue screen stating "Your PC ran intoa  problem and needs to restart.  We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you."  The stop error 2012 gives me is pretty generic and not much help at all (0xc000021a).

The laptop is an HP 8530P.  Windows 7 is 64-bit.  As far as I can tell the hardware on the laptop should support 2012, barely.  I've tried an ISO we have here at work and have also downloaded the 2012 eval version.  I've disabled pretty much all unnecessary hardware to see if that would help but to no avail.  At first I was running VMWare Workstation 9 but then upgraded to 9.0.1 to see if that would help.  Still nothing.

Can the community give me some things to try out to fix this?

Thanks,

phoyce

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scorpion99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Which VmWare Workstation are you using? and what OS type exactly did you choose from the list (that allows you to select Windows , Linux) ....when you start to create a new VM.

0 Kudos
phoyce
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using VMWare Workstation 9.  After many failed installs I upgraded to 9.0.1.  I've been choosing Windows Server 2012.

0 Kudos
nshetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Workstation 9 supports windows server 2012 as far as the compatibilty is concerned.

I too have 2012 running on 9 without any issues.

Does the installation complete or during the installation we see the error ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
phoyce
Contributor
Contributor

The installation completes.  Upon reboot into Server 2012, before it gets to the 'Getting Your Devices Ready' it gives me the blue screen I described in the original post.  What do you think?

0 Kudos