VMware Communities
aarm
Contributor
Contributor

VM Screen Size Smaller After VMware Tools Installation

For Workstation 17.5, first time to open a new VM running Windows Server 2022, installing Tools (12.2) caused the screen to become much smaller (unworkable).  Tried uninstall and re-install Tools 12.3.5 but same. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@aarm Post VMware Tools Installation and restart for Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 VMs, screen size does reduce, you can try increasing the resolution from System->Display.

0 Kudos
aarm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you DhairyaT for the respponse. I did that to the max of 1280x800 and it does resize to something workable but why doesn't the "Fit Guest Now" work like it does for all other VM's?

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@aarm Please confirm if VMTools are installed which you can check on "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features".

If VMtools are installed, please share below logs in this thread-

%TEMP%\vminst.log
%TEMP%\vmmsi*log
C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log

Also for the Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 VM I created on workstation, after VMTools installation and VM reboot I am able set the resolution to 3438 x 2001 and scaling to 200% after which User experience to work on that VM improves a lot. You can try this as well

0 Kudos
aarm
Contributor
Contributor

Attached 2 files.  There is no vmmsi file.

VMTools.jpg

Yes, tools are installed else I wouldn't have asked anything.  I assume that it is Tools that enables the "Fit Guest Now" to work.  On all other VM's (a few hundred), Fit Guest works.  This is the first 2022 server VM that I installed and it doesn't work.

Many thanks for helping DhairyaT

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Raised a ticket internally, relevant team will look into it.

@aarm Will post if any other information is required.

0 Kudos