VMware Communities
jerryfh
Contributor
Contributor

VM Network Setup

What Network Adapter to use for the VM's

Bridged, NAT, Host-Only, VMnet0, VMnet2, ??

Trying to setup 3 vms networked together
all W2008 R2 64bit
2 VMs on Desktop
  One VM with Active Directory and DNS
  One VM connected to AD Server
1 VM on LapTop using the VM AD server on Desktop
All Three VM's need access to the internet.
Both Desktop and Laptop running Win 7 64 bit
RoadRunner Cable ISP - dynamic IP
Linksys wireless router
VMWare Workstation 7.1.2
Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To gain a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network  Infrastructure I'd strongly suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual much less the rest of the documentation. (Also available in the VMware Workstation Help File.)

If you have different Virtual Machines running on different Hosts and you want them to communicate directly then use Bridged.

Also if the Host is multihomed then you should disable automatic bridging on VMnet0 and assign a specific Host NIC in the the Virtual  Network Editor.

0 Kudos
jerryfh
Contributor
Contributor

Is Bridged - The radio button Bridged and if so should I select "Replace physical network ..

or is Bridged

Custom VMnet0 (Bridged)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did you read the documentation?

Did you click the (?) help button on the Network Adapter Settings Panel?

Also have a look at: VMware Workstation (menu bar) > Help > Help Topics > Workstation Help > Virtual Machine Hardware Settings > Network Adapter Settings Panel

0 Kudos
jerryfh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

And yes I read the manual two or three days ago

and your cut and paste response two or three days ago

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

it is next to impossible to give good suggestions without understanding your specific needs better
we also need to see a screenshot of Virtual network Editor
did you already disable automatic bridging ?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

it is next to impossible to give good suggestions without understanding your specific needs better

Well that certainly is a true statement Smiley Happy nonetheless I think I understood the OP quite well and gave an appropriate answer. Smiley Wink

He has 3 VM's 2 on 1 Host and 1 on another Host and wants them networked together and to connect to the Internet so Bridged is the appropriate answer under the combination of conditions described in the OP.  Further more was told if the Hosts are multihomed to disable automatic bridging on VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor.  That covered the questiion in the OP and the subsequent questions asked the answers to which are right there available in the Help File as well or clicking the (?) help button on the Network Adapter Settings Panel.

Did I miss something?

0 Kudos