VMware Communities
Jon_AK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Network Settings For Server 2012R2

I installed Workstation onto a Windows 7 Ultimate machine.  I setup a VM for Windows 10 and a VM for Server 2012R2.  Both installed without a hitch and run fine.  I setup the VM network adapter in bridged mode in order to have internet access through the ASA5505 router / firewall.  The ASA device functions as a DHCP server for any connections that will have a dynamic IP address.  The Windows VM's are all set as static IP's on the same network subnet.  I can ping each VM but I am unable to join a client to the server's domain.  The server has AD DS installed and all the SRV records are there to point to the server.  My question is:  is setting the network adapter as bridged mode the correct way?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Bridged is fine. If the client can ping the server by IP address, you probably have a DNS problem (in the client). Make sure the server is the primary DNS server for the client (after making sure the DNS role is installed and configured on your server). If it still won't join, make an entry for the domain server in the clients HOSTS file.

Lou

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Bridged is fine. If the client can ping the server by IP address, you probably have a DNS problem (in the client). Make sure the server is the primary DNS server for the client (after making sure the DNS role is installed and configured on your server). If it still won't join, make an entry for the domain server in the clients HOSTS file.

Lou

0 Kudos
Jon_AK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Lou,

Thanks for shaking my memory...  The client was the one with the DNS issue.  With the Windows 10 install, it didn't allow for you to click the radio button to obtain DNS automatically and so I had a DNS entry to 8.8.8.8.  Took that out and entered the server's DNS IP address and all took off as expected.  Thanks...

0 Kudos