VMware Communities
xSarah
Contributor
Contributor

VM Freezing speeds up all applications and causes Anti-Cheat problems.

Having an issue where VM freezes due to CPU usage or Memory (which is fine in itself) but everything on VM speeds up "to make up for lost frames I assume" which causes anti-cheats in video games to ban me. I do not care about lag itself, I just do not want it to speed everything up!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Workstation version?

Host OS version?

Guest OS version?

Host compute specification?

VM compute specification?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
xSarah
Contributor
Contributor

VMware® Workstation 15 Pro 15.5.6 build-16341506

Host PC: Windows 10, 64-bit (Build 18363.1556) 10.0.18363

VM : Windows 7 Home Premium (x64 Newest Update)

Host PC: 16 GB RAM, i7-6700k, 1TB HDD

VM: 1.5 GB RAM, Number of Processors: 1, Number of cores per processor: 1, 20 GB HDD

The system runs fine for a while until there's lack of memory and things start to freeze up every now and then which I don't mind, it's just everything on the VM speeds up and runs 2-3x speed after each freeze for a few seconds

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You can try to make sure the virtual CD-ROM device is disconnected from the VM.  The guest OS may be trying to access the drive if it thinks it's connected.

Also, check if your anti-virus on the host is scanning - it's usually best to exclude the virtual machines directory(ies) from being scanned.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Another thing to check is that the option to synchronize time via VMware Tools is disabled.

See:

wila_0-1633970188851.png

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
xSarah
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly it is disabled, what else could it be..?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Windows itself will use external time sources to keep the clock synchronized.
By default via time.windows.com

Turning that off might be more challenging, but the following setting here seems to work:

wila_0-1633973220607.png

(I have it disabled as I already sync with my host via vmware tools)
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
xSarah
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think computer time sync would matter, as it does never appear to happen on regular PC's with lag issues, seems to only happen on VMWare.

0 Kudos
xSarah
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like there is no solution, guess I'll be moving on from VMware then.

0 Kudos