VMware Communities
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

VM Failing to Start - Stuck at black screen on Start

I'm having an issue after cleaning up old snap-shots in a VM I have.

On start all I get is a blank screen, I get the typical USB popup and that is as far as the VM goes to load.

This VM worked fine until I removed some old snapshots (With Manage Snap-Shots)

Hoping something stands out for someone, I can't seem to figure this out.

Attached is my Log;

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Rather than post massive log dumps, you can attach files using the function in the bottom-right corner of the comment editor:

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 21.09.58.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't at all see that tiny button when created the post

fixed.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Check the files in the VM-directory.

Create a subdir "deleteme-later"

Move all *.vmss, all *.vmsd . all *.vmsn into "deleteme-later"

Try to start again.

0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

I only had a .vmsd file, I didn't have they other 2 file types in the VM folder. I had the same outcome.

here is the log from the last attempt.

Vin

0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

So I have an oddity to add. I had tried copying the VMHD file to a blank/freshstart VM and had the same outcome. But then I changed the CPU count, same result, then changed the ram about and boom, the VM started up.

so I then went back to the original VM and did the same thing, (Increased the CPU thread count and RAM) and that VM started up.

I've now shut down the VM, restored the CPU count and RAM amount back to original and it now seems to be OK.

I can't explain it, but i'll take it.

Thanks for the help guys

Vin

0 Kudos