VMware Communities
Tutonk
Contributor
Contributor

VM Basics

Hopefully, I am posting this in the correct forum, if not I do apologize.  My job is to provide technical support for a variety of software packages.  Most of the software that we provide support for will run on Windows XP, and a few have been certified to work with Windows 7.  As we are approaching the time when finding a laptop PC that runs Windows XP more and more difficult, we have been looking further into virtualization.  At this point, I have been tasked with gathering the necessary information to present a list of needs in order to begin moving forward.  Below are several initial questions that I have come up with to get started.

1.  What software is required to create the virtual machines? Can one person have the software to create the VMs and others just use a VM Player/Viewer to work on them?

2.     What are the licensing requirements for Windows operating systems as it relates to virtual machines?  Do we need a unique license of Windows XP, for example, for each virtual machine that we would create?  The reason for this question is that there are some software packages that we support that cannot be installed on the same OS at the same time.  We would like to be able to make multiple copies of a Windows XP VM and install different software pacakages on each one as needed.   As a follow up to this question, is there a limitation on the number of copies that can be made?

3.     What are the rules for sharing VMs across multiple PCs?  For instance, can I make a copy of a particular VM and share it with a co-worker for their use?

4.     Are there any suggestions for hardware upgrades on the primary PC running the VMs?  For example, should a new laptop PC be upgrade to have more RAM than normal to accommodate running a VM on top of the base OS?

I may have more questions arise as I get further into this process and do appreciate everyone's patience.  My company wants to ensure that we are doing everything correctly and cost effectively.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - you are in the right forum

1.  What software is required to create the virtual machines? Can one person have the software to create the VMs and others just use a VM Player/Viewer to work on them?

That is correct - one persone can create the VM and distribute to others for their use - you can even use VMPlayer to create virtual machines

2.     What are the licensing requirements for Windows operating systems as it relates to virtual machines?  Do we need a unique license of Windows XP, for example, for each virtual machine that we would create?  The reason for this question is that there are some software packages that we support that cannot be installed on the same OS at the same time.  We would like to be able to make multiple copies of a Windows XP VM and install different software pacakages on each one as needed.   As a follow up to this question, is there a limitation on the number of copies that can be made?

You will need a license for each running virtual machine - from the VMware side there is no limitation to  the number of copies that can be made - you might also review Microsofts policy because I thought there were exceptions for development environments in their licensing -

3.     What are the rules for sharing VMs across multiple PCs?  For instance, can I make a copy of a particular VM and share it with a co-worker for their use?

Yes - as long as you do not violate the licensing of the software running inside the VM

4.     Are there any suggestions for hardware upgrades on the primary PC running the VMs?  For example, should a new laptop PC be upgrade to have more RAM than normal to accommodate running a VM on top of the base OS?

Yes -it basically is going to depnd on what is running in the VM but yes  I would recommend more ram.and a higher end processor if you plan to run multiple VMs concurrently

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos