VMware Communities
Stealthunter
Contributor
Contributor

VHD in VMWare Workstation 8

Hi !

I downloaded the trial version of Windows Server 2008 R2 and it gave me a VHD file.I just don't remember how to install it in a virtual machine and I can't seem to find a way to do it online. Could anyone lead me a bit ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JACKe2
Contributor
Contributor

hi

not sure what you have to do, i googled[ vhd file in vmware ] and found a video --

Convert a *.VHD with VMware Converter 4

;

http://ict-freak.nl/2009/03/24/convert-a-vhd-with-vmware-converter-4/

hope this helps.

jack

0 Kudos
Stealthunter
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I checked it too but the problem is that it says it's a VHD but with an extension VMC, what I have is a VHD file (ends with .vhd). Maybe I will have to convert it 2 times to use it but I would really like to be able to use the VHD without converting it :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
JACKe2
Contributor
Contributor

hi

did you check this ?

http://www.aspdeveloper.net/Virtual_PC/rn-739-44005_Convert_VHD_for_VMware.aspx

Related Messages

Re: Convert VHD for VMware

Sent: 02/27/2007
Message:Yes, the basic VHD importer is built into VMware Workstation and the free 
VMware Player. You simply open your VHD file directly and it will be 
converted automatically.

There is also a separate "Converter" product which incorporates the VHD 
import with other conversion capabilities.

jack

0 Kudos
Zigoze
Contributor
Contributor

you know... ? I just tried creating a vm and adding the vhd as the primary disk of the vm on my vmw workstation 8, and started the vm thinking that it would fail... but it started with no problem...! :smileyconfused:

I really did not know that vmw workstation was able to open vhd files... lol... it is always worth trying.... lol.

0 Kudos
phoenix73
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for contacting me, I will be out of the office Thursday May 3rd. I will have limited access to email and voicemail during this time causing some of my responces to be delayed. If you have a time sensative request and need assistance in my absence please email presales group at MilestoneUSPreSalesGroup@milestone.us or call 503 350 1163 and leave me a message. I will answer all inquiries as soon as I am able. If you need a technical support questions answered please call 877 350 1101 option 2

0 Kudos
bijoy2005
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently out of the office (on vacation) with limited access to emails.

Thanks,

Bijoy Joseph

0 Kudos
LuvinGCM
Contributor
Contributor

So QQ - I have VMWare Workstation 8.0.3 build-703057 and i cannot find anyway to open the .VHD directly in it - i also downloaded the standalone converter - again no VHD conversion functions -

Can you give a little more color as to how you did this?

0 Kudos