VMware Communities
russjar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCP W'station Key not working on W'station 7

Hi all,

I tried to upgrade to workstation 7 this morning and tried to apply my VCP serial number however the serial was not accepted.

What is the story here? Our VCP keys don't work on workstation 7?

Thanks in advance....

VCP,MCSE NT4/W2k/W2k3, MCSA W2k3

0 Kudos
4 Replies
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had the same problem and contacted VMware support. This is their answer:

Hello,

As I understand, you have received a license for Workstation 6.0, now you would like to know how to get the upgraded license for Workstation 7.0.

If you purchased VMware Workstation 6.0 after October 1 from a VMware authorized store or online retailer, you may be eligible for a free upgrade to VMware Workstation 7.0. Visit to process your upgrade request. This may take up to two weeks for processing.

However if you have not purchased VMware Workstation 6.5 but received a free license, you need to purchase the upgrade.

We apologize for the inconvenience as we are continuing to work through issues with our upgrade portal.

0 Kudos
russjar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the info. So what did you do, did you upgrade? Did they (VMware) upgrade your key for workstation 7? Shal I attept?

Cheers dude.

0 Kudos
jcw248
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Makes alot of sense since the VCPs are usually the ones who "recomend" using/or upgrading their products. So I guess they dont want us to know from experience why our customers would benefit from upgrading to version 7. I plan on taking my VCP 4 anyways, for my Virtualization training "not to get free copy of workstation". Doesnt make alot of sense if ya ask me.

0 Kudos
Student_Driver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, yes and no I suppose. I'm certified with Red Hat and Microsoft and don't receive free operating systems or maintenance from them, so getting the current version at the time of their flagship workstation product is a gift. I would also treat it as such, and if needed just upgrade it. Otherwise, they have ESXi and Player that are both free if money is an issue. However, I wouldn't presume that being a VCP would guarantee a lifetime subscription to their workstation product.

Now, when I was a Micrsoft MVP I got a free MSDN subscription, but there was ongoing work that I did to keep it. Maybe they'll consider doing the same for furm members (or do they already)?

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM

MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT

Dell SXPS 1340, P9600, 8GB RAM MCSE/MCSA 2003, MCTS, RHCT
0 Kudos