VMware Communities
oaksu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Utilisation and Speed for Workstation seems to be capped

When running Vmware Workstation, without any other app running, CPU and Speed Utilisation seems to be capped to approx 30% Utilisation at all times.

Is there a way I can change or remove this limitation so Workstation uses more of the CPU when required?

Note: This utilisation does not change whether I open up 1 or more VM's in Workstation.

You can see an image of the utilisation at: https://imgur.com/1oMOqEr.jpg

As soon as utilisation shows i.e. 34%, it drops back below 30% so it looks like there's some 30% limit.

I'm currently running Vmware Workstation on a Windows 10 Pro Version - OS Build: 19041.450

When I took the screen shot, I had 3 VM's running.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oaksu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like I resolved the issue.

Incase anyone else is having the same issue, following was how I solved it.

After downloading the Dell Power Manager application, I was able to see that the Thermal Management was set to Cool. When I changed that to Ultra Performance or Optimized, the CPU usage went up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Host hardware specification?

VM hardware configuration?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
oaksu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Hardware

Dell XPS 15 9570 Core i9 - Disabled Hyperthreading

Processor : Intel Core i9-8950HK 6 x 2.9 - 4.8 GHz, Coffee Lake-H

Graphics adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q - 4096 MB, Core: 1290 MHz, Memory: 7008 MHz, GDDR5, 397.93, Optimus

Memory : 32768 MB, PC4-21300, 19-19-19-43, Dual-Channel

VM Hardware

VM1 - Windows 10

Memory: 11.3GB

Total Processor cores: 6 (Number of processors: 2, Number of cores per processor: 3)

Hard Disk(SCSI): 100GB

VM2 - Ubuntu (Linux)

Memory: 7GB

Total Processor cores: 6 (Number of processors: 2, Number of cores per processor: 3)

Hard Disk(SCSI): 60GB

VM2 - Ubuntu (Linux)

Memory: 3GB

Total Processor cores: 2 (Number of processors: 2, Number of cores per processor: 1)

Hard Disk(SCSI): 40GB

0 Kudos
oaksu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like I resolved the issue.

Incase anyone else is having the same issue, following was how I solved it.

After downloading the Dell Power Manager application, I was able to see that the Thermal Management was set to Cool. When I changed that to Ultra Performance or Optimized, the CPU usage went up.

0 Kudos