VMware Communities
Donald_SBC
Contributor
Contributor

Using wrong product?

I am confused. My PC is running WinXP SP2. I installed VMware Server 1.04 and have 5 VMs under it. What I use VM for is support. I have a couple of W2K VMs and a couple of XP SP2 VMs. When I need to verify a user problem I start the server and then fire up the best VM to test the problem.

Is this the 'correct' usage of VMware products? Should I be using Workstation instead?

I will be getting a Core 2 Quad PC soon with 8 gig of RAM running Vista 64. What should I be using in that situation?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Try workstation - it allows to use snapshots to keep a sample-installation of all the cases you need to support.

VMserver only allows 1 snapshot per VM.

With WS you can have a snapshot for 2k-sp1, 2k-sp2, 2k-sp3, 2k-sp4, 2k-sp4dx9, 2k-sp4dx9+dx10 ... many different states of one basic VM

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which product you should use isn't so much a question of hardware or operating system, but rather what you want to do with it. Ulli pointed out one way that Workstation is better for your needs, but I wouldn't say you "have" to use it. There's a free 30-day trial of Workstation, so you can try it and decide whether you like it.