VMware Communities
dbradley56
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using vmware-vdiskmanager to expand vmdk on a different partition(D:)

Is it possible to expand a vmdk on partition 😧 if VMware is installed on drive C:?

Used the following command:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation>vmware-vdiskmanager -x <15>GB "d:\Windows Vista\Windows Vista (experimental)-000002.vmdk"

The system cannot find the file specified.

Windows XP Professional

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, from the command you posted, it appears that you have a snapshot for that guest (or perhaps 2). You cannot modify the virtual disk using the vmware-vdiskmanager utility if you have snapshots.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are trying to expand a snapshotted disk. You must merge/delete any snapshots back to the base disk before using the vmware-vdiskmanager on a virtual disk.

Also, you shouldn't put the size in brackets. should be '-x 15GB' Since you're on a Windows host, you may be interested in my GUI wrapper for the vdiskmanager utility - see my profile for website.

Rob

dbradley56
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks RD,

I'm going to try your GUI (way cool!) But if you don't mind, do you mean move or copy the .vmdk file to the vmware install directory (C:) and then expand it? And once expanded can I move the expanded vmdk file back to 😧

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, from the command you posted, it appears that you have a snapshot for that guest (or perhaps 2). You cannot modify the virtual disk using the vmware-vdiskmanager utility if you have snapshots.

0 Kudos
dbradley56
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey RD,

I think I gotcha. What I need to do is merge the two snapshots or remove one and then expand.

0 Kudos
dbradley56
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I merge the snapshot with the base install so as not to lose data (like the windows vista activation key etc. and all the changes I've made since the base install)

0 Kudos