VMware Communities
UlyssesOfEpirus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using virtualization to run windows 7 forever

Certain features of vmware virtualization such as non-persistent storage and independent guest date make it possible to run windows 7 forever, using the trial period before activation.

It seems possible to do even better than that, and allow dates to go beyond the one month trial. By convincing windows it has just been installed. Has anyone got this to work?

What happens with windows updates, is there anyway to make them think they are always in the trial period?

Is there some other way to make windows 7 ultimate run forever in a VM? Haven't tried activating windows in the VM because the license by Dell here is for the host only. What happens if I activate windows in the VM? Does the host lose its activation and fail to reboot?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Discussing what you're asking, being that one would intentionally be circumventing licensing and or willfully violating the EULA of given products, could probably be construed as a violation of the VMware Community Terms of Use! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I agree with Woody. Asking for help in violating the licensing for a product cannot be discussed in this forum, so I will lock this discussion.

The only proper way to run the VM forever is to get a valid license for it.

André

0 Kudos