VMware Communities
BDorroh
Contributor
Contributor

Using two VPNs

I'm running Windows7 On my lapt top, using the built-in Inetl GB nic. I also have Windows7 running in a VM on the laptop (network set to bridged).

I need to be able to VPN into one network on the laptop while at the same time doing a VPN to a different network inside the VM.

The laptop by deafult uses the Intel nic. Then I aded a RealTek PC-card GB nic so I have two different physical adapters, both are connected to a hub, which goes out to internet.

Now, In the Network Editor of Vmware, I've set the VMnet0(bridged) from auto to the RealTek adapter. When I fire up the VM I get an IP off my local LAN. So far so good and have complete connectivity and name resolutoin. But as soon as I fire up the VPN on the laptop (which uses the Intel nic) my VM loses all connectivity. I can't even ping the gateway at this point. Disconnect the laptop VPN's and connectivity is restored.

I thought this should work, since I'm using two different physical adapters. I feel like I'm missing something simple. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Just to mention it and get it out of the way: most "home" routers cannot handle mulitple VPN tunnels.  For example the very common Linksys BEFSR41 can only handle one VPN tunnel.  Even though it says it is "VPN compatible", it doesn't say how many tunnels.  Many of the D-Link models can handle 10 VPN tunnels, but that info is not usually available in their manuals or support site, so no guarantees.  I just happened to have seen a D-Link knowledgebase article for the model I used to have that mentioned 10 tunnels, and it listed several of the D-Link models.

So you may need to try a different router if you can't confirm that your router supports multiple tunnels.  If you're using the built-in routing capability of your DSL modem, you'll want to set it to "bridged" mode instead of "routed bridged", then use your own router.  My area, most of the Westel brand DSL modems can only handle one VPN tunnel with it's built-in router.

All the above I've learned through trial and error with many clients using various equipment they've purchased.  And tech support is often unaware of the tunnel limitation as they are consumer level techs and can't imagine why you'd need more than one VPN session.  (i.e.: husband and wife.)  I spent many days troubleshooting this, but once I found out obout the multiple tunnel limit, everything fell into place and replacing the routers with a more  "enterprise" class router fixed every one my problem sites.  (Or at least "small business" instead of "consumer" grade.)

0 Kudos