VMware Communities
abishur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using %homepath% for Shared Folders

The company I work for uses VMs that we copy back and forth, when a new one is created the guy who creates them always has the path to his personal home directory set as a shared folder.  I tried to change it to %HOMEPATH%, but VMware Workstation 8.0 complains that this is an invalid path.

Is there a way to use a global variable that will point at the home directory of whoever is logged in?  We're using Windows 7

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome to Workstation Community!

Sorry, for the paths which will be saved in configuration file (e.g. *.vmx file), relative path and environment variables on Windows are not supported... Could you use a folder in a common place of host as shared folder?

Regards,

Shawn

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome to Workstation Community!

Sorry, for the paths which will be saved in configuration file (e.g. *.vmx file), relative path and environment variables on Windows are not supported... Could you use a folder in a common place of host as shared folder?

Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos
abishur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, no such a solution wouldn't work in this instance.  While I'm disappointed that such a bug would exist in what is otherwise a powerful and modern software package, at least I have a definitive answer.  Thanks!

0 Kudos