VMware Communities
Nedkt
Contributor
Contributor

Using a virtual machine with linux firewall in place of a real one for network security

Running VMWare Workstation on Vista 64. Machine has DP Harpertowns for 8 cores and 16 GB of RAM.

I was in the process of planning a hardware linux machine with smoothwall or clarkconnect as a dedicated network gateway, firewall, etc. but then I realized I might be able to do the same thing with a VM in my WMWare Workstation. Can it be done reliably and what are the implications? Will the NIC still have access to windows in some (undesirable) fashion since there does have to be a connection to the virtual machine one way or another? If it doesn't give me all of the saftey of the hardware approach it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Are there any networking slowdowns associated with this approach due to the VM overhead? Since the firewall VM would be running 24/7 I could possibly move it to a superspeed ramdisk pro drive permanently set aside in main memory? Would that make any difference?

I do a lot of work at home so I will often be accessing the internet for work related things but my kids also use it for their gaming and the like so I can't slow down or make overly complex their daily activities without bringing down the wrath. Can this be made to work for a day-to-day home and work network?

Are there any detailed examples of people going through with this to look at?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Do you really need to go beyond standard SOHO router?

While proposed design might work, it adds certain complexity and maintenance burden with questionable security improvement if at all.

I wouldn't do that as a permanent solution. For experimentation - why not, it seems like an interesting project.

0 Kudos