VMware Communities
transform
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using XP Partition as VM

I was trying to use my XP partition as a vm in Windows 7. I keep getting Module DiskEarly Power on failed. My hard drive is a 120gb ssd partitioned in half with XP Pro 32 on the first half and Windows 7 64 on the second half. I'm trying to use the XP partition similar how fusion works with boot camp. I've disconnected the partition so there is no drive letter but its still not working. Any thoughts?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your options are:

1. use XP as the host and run Win7 in a VM
2. get a second harddisk and use the second disk for the XP-partition

A Windows 7 host can not assign the systemdrive (your SSD-disk) or partitions of the systemdrive to a VM - so your plan is not possible

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your options are:

1. use XP as the host and run Win7 in a VM
2. get a second harddisk and use the second disk for the XP-partition

A Windows 7 host can not assign the systemdrive (your SSD-disk) or partitions of the systemdrive to a VM - so your plan is not possible

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There were several discussions a while back and when the Host is Windows 7 and trying to use a raw disk partition of the same disk Windows 7 is installed to it typically failed.  The general concusses was it's not reliably doable under Window 7 unless the raw disk/partition is on a physically separate disk then the Windows 7 Host.

0 Kudos
transform
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a limitation of Windows 7 or VMware? I had trouble with VMWare running unusably slow on XP. Since XP only has up to 3GB ram, i'd prefer Win 7 as the host. Any thoughts on speed then?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This would work with a Linux host or with a XP or Win2003 host - so it is first of all a Windows 7 problem/feature.

But as far as I know VirtualBOX can handle this scenario (Win 7 host using a physical partition of the systemdrive for a VM) so it can also be regarded as a regression of the physical disk featore of Workstation.

0 Kudos