VMware Communities
divine_kane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using Vista as host, network problems

Hi Everyone

I've recently installed vista as my OS and installed VMWARE Workstation 5.5.1. Everything seemed to be working fine, i built two machines a 2k server and a XP machine, but they won't connect to each other using a bridge or ping anything, as if its isolated.

I'm not sure if its just me being dum for if its a fault regarding using vista as host. Any ideas?

Many Thanks

T

Kane If you found my post helpful, please mark it as 'helpful' or 'correct'
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, it's most likely an issue due to Workstation 5.x not supporting Vista as a host OS. Right now, the only product which supports Vista hosts is the Workstation 6 beta.

Others have gotten Server and Workstation 5.5x working on a Vista host (if I were you I'd at least update to the latest revision, 5.5.3) - usually having to do with running as Administrator. Or at the very least, installing as Admin.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using a wired or wireless physical network adapter iin the host?

Post ipconfig /all from the Vista host and Windows virtual machines

Post the .vmx file from one of the virtual machines

0 Kudos
divine_kane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah right i made a team out of the two PC's and they've started seeing each other must have been something in the ip config settings for the two vmware machines, but when i tried to change them individually they wouldn't let me.

Many thanks though for your help.

T

Kane If you found my post helpful, please mark it as 'helpful' or 'correct'
0 Kudos
ericteng
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, Kevin, I am a novice, please be patience with me, what do you mean when say the following:-

Post ipconfig /all from the Vista host and Windows virtual machines

Post the .vmx file from one of the virtual machines

It seemed like you solved the guy's problem.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos