VMware Communities
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

Using Snapshots in a combined linear and tree Mode

To use Snapshots in linear and tree Modes is this possible ?

Example: These You may already have if been working in Linear mode

OS---1---2---3---4---5---6

But now you need to keep all 1 to 6 snapshots as is. But also make a branch from any of the 1 to 6. That could look like this or any other/similar.

OS---1---2---3---4---5---6---you are here

--------|---------|----|---------|

-------etc-----etc-etc-----etc

ignore the etc are the branches. Where each is its own saved virtual machine unaffected by others. The only options I see when use goto or revert for example

GoTo (from present position linear)

---6---you are here

To

---3---

I would need to delete these ---4---5---6---you Are here

How can the above be achieved without destroying the linear tree and so also be able to have linear and tree modes combined as above example and below

Then I can travel to any that I choose

OS---1---2---3---4---5---6---the last you are here is saved (either with or without needing a snapshot (any))

--------|---------|

--------|--------you are currently here

Update trying using working virtual machine without a backup (ooOh)

Using a live OS with many Linear snapshots adding three more to test with

The Previous (as above)

Now (becomes)

OS---1---2---3---4---5---6---Test 1---Test 2---Test3---you are here

Then Select Goto ---Test 2---

It then becomes

------------------------------------Test 1---Test 2---Test 3

--------------------------------------------------|

--------------------------------------------------|_ You Are Here

If then you take a snapshot from there

-----------------------------------------------Snapshot 7---You Are Here

If take further snapshots it is still Linear (not mixed) so next snapshot will be

-----------------------------------------------Snapshot 7---Snapshot 8---You Are Here

Not exactly what I would like to have that been mixed Linear and Tree Mode. Trying the Revert doesn't make mixed mode either. ATM unknown how to have mixed mode virtual machine at least though I have something now I can work with even if it is all a linear type of style. This is workable I leave this here so others may learn from this.

[All such ------ dotted lines and underscore lines ____ in both posts are used to keep the diagrams aligned for forum posting]

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at this screenshot
http://sanbarrow.com/img/snapshotmanager.png

Is that  close to what you are looking for ?
I dont claim that I understood your question - but that screenshot seems to have mixed linear and tree mode combined as needed/wanted.

0 Kudos
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

I understand more now that vmware manual hadn't explain this better where they could have done over the years. The manual explains how to do  the linear but how to do the branch snapshots.

Need a branch select a snapshot so it is highlighted > select Go To > Power on the virtual os. Take a snapshot which will then become a branch snapshot. Snapshot taken when you normally take them or options set to do so, read manual to understand that. Branch again by doing the same as above. Why couldn't vmware describe it as simple as this or more simple.

Play the game further after many snapshots. Try guess which are parents which are children.

Took me a while as I gave up for many months since I needed this. Fresh look or time to play over and over to find out what should have been described be in the manual.

If power on virtual machine from -> You Are here it will always continue in a linear line.

0 Kudos