VMware Communities
rogerio_pgp
Contributor
Contributor

Use of Disk - Very Slow

Hello,

I'm testing the VmWare WorkSation to virtualize my developing enviroment. I'm using the evaluation version of it.

I have Windows 8 in both (guest and host). I have 4 cores, 8gb of memory and one disk 450gb.

I set my Vm with 2 cores, 4gb memory,100gb of disk and nat network.

So, the disk usage is extremely high. I think that I set something wrong, because the use of it is always 100% in both (guest and host).

It is almost impossible to use the OS. When I try to use My developing tool (Delphi or Visual Studio) the vm stop answering.

I attached some files of my VM. I read something about disk performance in your site but it did not work for me.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards, Rogério.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

this is only a guess. Do you run an antivirus application on the host which does on-access scanning of the virtual machine's files? If so exclude *.vm* files from being scanned, to see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos
rogerio_pgp
Contributor
Contributor

I have ForeFront Client Security running. But I do not believe that it is the issue.

I attached a print screen of the task manager. I'd like to purchase VmWare WorkStation But This issue let me not confident about that.

Did you check the file .zip attached in the previous post?

Best Regards, Rogério.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, I took a look to the .log files. That's why I was thinking of something on the host system, which is causing the high read/write times for the virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your screen shot shows that something inside the guest is doing a lot of disk I/O, and that will always appear on the host as disk I/O by "VMware Workstation VMX".

You need to find out what is doing the disk I/O inside the guest.  I'm not a Windows person, but I'd start looking to see if there were any scheduled backups, virus-scans, synchronization (cloud sync, etc.) or defragmentation going on inside the guest at the time.  The logs you posted earlier show that the guest is doing lots of disk reads and lots of writes, which makes it look a lot like the guest is defragmenting its hard disk or doing a local backup (from C: to somewhere else on C:), where I'd expect fewer writes if it were a virus scan or cloud sync that was causing the problem.

Out of curiosity, what is the name of the second process down the list inside the guest in the screenshot you posted?  (The one which is hidden by the top of the host's Task Manager window, and is using 7.1% CPU, 53.8 MB of memory and 1.5 MB/s of disk I/O.)  It might be innocent but it's certainly worth looking into.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos