VMware Communities
istler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upload from Workstation 9.0 to ESXi 5.1 host failed..

Hello,

I try to upload a virual maschin (WinXP) from a VMware Workstation 9.0 to an ESCi 5.1 host. But I get only this massage: "Upload failed: A specified parameter was not correct". Wich parameter is not correct?

I create an new vm with a WinXP, this maschine I can upload to the ESXi host without problems.

Both vm runs without problem at the VMware Workstaion.

Have any one some ideas?

Best regards

Maik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GoGo2222
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203668...

and

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201212...

That should be your solution. Had same issue uploading from VMWare 9.0 to ESXi 5.1 - I just disabled the VMWare Tools update (Options->VMWare Tools->Update Manually) and after that the error message was gone. Uploading now ...

Cheers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Felix-The-Cat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Maik,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you have a problem with WS 9.

To speed-up investigation, could you please:

1. Give us more info regarding Hosts and Guest config - OS, CPU, RAM, Video, etc...

2. Could you please replicate failed attempt and attach latest UI log (WS menu Help -> About -> UI log path).

Cheers,

FTC

istler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello FTC,

thanks for the answer.

1) Host (Esprimo P910 E85+):

- OS CenOS 6.3

- RAM 16 GB DDR3

- CPI Intel Core i5-3570

- Video NVidia Quadro NVS 300 512 MB

- HDD 1TB

Guest:

- OS  Win XP Prof.

- RAM 1 GB

- CPU 1/1, Virtualization Engine mode: auto

- Network: NAT

- HDD (SCSI, single file) 17,1GB / used 10GB

- CD / DVD: Auto detect

- Sound: Auto detect

- Pinter: Present

- USB Controller: Present

- Display: Auto detect

This VM I have creat with the standalone converter from a real maschine.

2) Time-code 2012-10-23T06:57:06.880+01:00 I try to upload my VM test_i55_Tbuch.

Best regards

Maik

0 Kudos
istler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello FTC,

have you some news?

My problem is not solved... 😞

Do you need more information?

Best regards!

Maik

0 Kudos
GoGo2222
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203668...

and

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201212...

That should be your solution. Had same issue uploading from VMWare 9.0 to ESXi 5.1 - I just disabled the VMWare Tools update (Options->VMWare Tools->Update Manually) and after that the error message was gone. Uploading now ...

Cheers.

0 Kudos
istler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi GoGo2222,

thank you for your answer. That was the solution. Problem solved!

Best regards

Maik

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something so simple caused me much wasted time.  Made the change and the transfer is working.

Too bad there's not an easy way to get this highlighted in the forums because it seems a lot of people are having this issue.

Thanks again for sharing the info!

Tom Miller

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
lcbrevard2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This thread has been a lifesaver (or at least a sanity saver).

This worked for me - uploading a CentOS 4.9 VM from Workstation 9.0.1 to ESXi 5.1.0.

In Workstation, Edit Virtual Machine Settings -> Options -> VMware Tools -> Update Manually.

I also disabled Shared Folders - HGFS - since that makes no sense in the ESXi environment.

Now my system is uploading. Slowly, due to 100G of vDisk, only 24% done in about 30 minutes.

Surely this is a bug. At the very least vSphere Client should say what parameter "... is not correct." Ideally the uploader would simply change the parameter to an acceptible one - while telling you what it did.

Editorial comment: For over a decade I've been extremely happy with Workstation as well as the old free VMware Server and the free VMware Player.

Lately between Fusion Professional 5.0.2 having big problems with the newest Mac OSX update and now this, I'm becoming less of a fan.

For instance I have much worse performance running Windows 8 on ESXi than on Workstation 9 hosted on Windows 7 (on almost identical hardware). Now I'm uploading this CentOS 4.9 "build" system to see how it does.

If it's also significantly slower, I'm seriously considering nuking the ESXi system and just running another copy of Windows 7 with VMware Workstation on it. That's turned out to be the most useful platform for me - both in the office and in my collocation systems. At this point I don't need the vMotion and other things that ESXi can do and I cannot afford VMware View yet.

EE and programmer before UNIX existed.
0 Kudos