VMware Communities
pgaltieri
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading Windows XP guest to Windows 7

I have installed Windows XP as a guest under Workstation 7 running on Fedora 12. The install went fine and XP is installed on a 40 GB virtual SCSI drive. When I run upgradeadvisor to upgrade this VM to Windows 7 it complains about not finding compatible drivers for the VMware installed SCSI, SVGA II, PCnet Adapter, and VMCI Bus Device. If I remove VMware toolsthen it complains about the BusLogic MultiMaster SCSI Host Adapter as being unsupported. Can anyone point me to any information that will allow me to upgrade my XP system to Windows 7?

Thanks,

Paolo

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Windows XP is not directly upgradeable to Windows 7 so why even waste time running the Upgrade Advisor and since this is a Virtual Machine just create a New Virtual Machine selecting the version of Windows your using and if you're using upgrade media then use the information in "[Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media|http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp]" to install/activate it. Method 2 has worked just fine for me.

You can then, if you want to or to comply with an upgrade license, just delete the Windows XP Virtual Machine after you've backed up your user data and have Windows 7 up and running unless you don't have enough room to have both.

If you want to transfer files and settings then have a look at:

Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7

Or

Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (64 bit) to Windows 7

0 Kudos