VMware Communities
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Upgrading Windows 8.0 guests to 8.1 fails in VMware Workstation v10?

Hello.

Is anyone else having this problem? I tried two different W8 (English and French) VM images (1 GB of RAM) and cannot successfully upgrade. It takes me to:

Language selection (picked English) screen.

Choose an option: "Trouble (Refresh or reset your PC, or use advanced tools)" or "Turn off your PC".

What's wrong? I never had this problem on my real desktop PC.

Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

That's probably the problem.  Windows 8.1 no longer includes the drivers for that SCSI adapter.  Upgrade your virtual SCSI adapter, and you should be good to go.

Changing the texts in the configuration is considered an upgrade? LOL. I wonder why VMware never mentioned this when 8.1 came out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
37 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the guest OS type set to?

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

What is the guest OS type set to?

W8.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post your vmware.log file.

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

Please post your vmware.log file.

What exactly you're looking for inside? My logs have too many sensitive data to share since this is from work. 😕

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I won't know until I see it.  Feel free to redact as heavily as necessary.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using a virtual LSI Logic SCSI adapter, this thread may be relevant:  Re: Can't Upgrade to Windows 8.1 on Fusion 5.

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

If you are using a virtual LSI Logic SCSI adapter, this thread may be relevant:  Re: Can't Upgrade to Windows 8.1 on Fusion 5.

I see VMs' hardware lists show HD (SCSI 0:0) for 20 GB. Is this it?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Maybe.  Check your configuration file for

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

If you find it, change it to:

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"

Back up the VM before trying this.

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

Stupid question. Where did the cfg files go? I didn't see them:

Message was edited by: Wil van Antwerpen Moved blob of text with file output to attached file.

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

I won't know until I see it.  Feel free to redact as heavily as necessary.

I will do that later.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your configuration file is ENU8S0X32.vmx.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

01/09/2014  11:14 AM             1,946 ENU8S0X32.vmx

Next time dump the output to a file and attach it! Smiley Wink

ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

Yep, my W8 VMs have them. Smiley Sad

So, change and save them and then retry the downloaded W8.1 upgrade installation? I do have backups.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's probably the problem.  Windows 8.1 no longer includes the drivers for that SCSI adapter.  Upgrade your virtual SCSI adapter, and you should be good to go.

0 Kudos
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

jmattson wrote:

Changing the texts in the configuration is considered an upgrade? LOL. I wonder why VMware never mentioned this when 8.1 came out.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wonder why VMware never mentioned this when 8.1 came out.

They did, have a look at: Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 guest operating systems are unable to access storage on a vir...

ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

I wonder why VMware never mentioned this when 8.1 came out.

They did, have a look at: Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 guest operating systems are unable to access storage on a vir...

"To prevent this issue, configure the Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machines to use an alternative storage adapter, such as LSI Logic SAS controller or the PVSCSI HBA controller."

How is one supposed to change this through GUI without editing the configuration file?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

"To prevent this issue, configure the Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machines to use an alternative storage adapter, such as LSI Logic SAS controller or the PVSCSI HBA controller."

How is one supposed to change this through GUI without editing the configuration file?

This can only be done through the GUI when creating the VM.  Afterwards the .vmx configuration file has to be manually edited

ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

This can only be done through the GUI when creating the VM.  Afterwards the .vmx configuration file has to be manually edited

That's a bummer. VMware should find a way to do it through GUI. I even tried adding a new HDD to see if I can find it, but I didn't see it. Smiley Sad

Anyways, I shut down the VM and then edited. I powered it up and VMware Workstation v10.0.1 said "Unable to allocate a PCI SCSI adapter. Too many PCI devices are already configured. Failed to configure scsi0." Smiley Sad

0 Kudos