VMware Communities
baronej
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading Both Worstation & Windows

Hi -

I have a Vista x64 workstation with Workstation 6.5.2 currently installed.

I am planning to perform an inplace upgrade to Windows 7 and also upgrade to Workstation 7.

I am wondering what the right step order would be. Should I upgrade Workstation first and then upgrade Windows, or should I upgrade Windows and then deal with Workstation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CaptainLeonidas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would backup first on a external HDD just in case. Then it's all up to you.

Personally I would then start with upgrading the host OS as that is de base of any and all apps.

Intel Smackover x58-chipset

Intel i7 965

6GB DDR3

Radeon HD4870 1GB VRAM (5870 version ordered)

Vista Bus. x64/Windows 7 RTM x64

VMware Workstation 7.x User VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin
0 Kudos
baronej
Contributor
Contributor

Captain -

Thanks for the reply...

I am planning to have a backup of the hard drive when I do the upgrade, as I am also replacing the hard drive right around that point (I've outgrown my current one with all the VMs on it). The new hard drive will be in and Vista stable before I attempt the upgrade.

I would normally do all the app stuff after performing the OS upgrade, but I've heard bad things about 6.5.x and Windows 7 together, so I'm thinking this is one of those cases where I need to do the app upgrade first.

0 Kudos
CaptainLeonidas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well then I would say OS first followed by WMware 7.0.

Upgrades from VMware usually will involve a de-install of the older version. I would assume that the upgrade does not need the old one in place (pre-installed).

As long as you have a valid key you should be fine (I have not updated/upgraded in a while so correct me if I am wrong).

Btw..

If you are starting anew do NOT install Vista first. Just start with teh upgrade DVD of Windows 7. In the past I was able to start with that and during installtion it would ask for the "older" medium DVD of the to be upgraded OS to complete the installation.

The less you have on the new HDD the better as any old file or registry hash that remains can make trouble.

Upgrading inplace is the better option only if you ahve legacy apps in plac you cant get re-installed from scratch.

Again thats me thinking.

Intel Smackover x58-chipset

Intel i7 965

6GB DDR3

Radeon HD4870 1GB VRAM (5870 version ordered)

Vista Bus. x64/Windows 7 Ulti x64

Message was edited by: CaptainLeonidas

VMware Workstation 7.x User VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin
baronej
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.

BTW, I'm not starting from scratch. I'm imaging the contents of the old drive to the new one and then swapping them out. So if all goes as planned in the HD upgrade I automatically have a pre-upgrade backup (the old hard drive).

0 Kudos