VMware Communities
Andreid98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded to VM W8 and lost bridged network connection

Running an XP environment hosted on Windows 2003 Server SBS. This was working fine in Workstation 7. After upgrading to version 8, the virtual adapter no longer acquires an IP from the DHCP server when in bridged mode. This was the previous setup, and it's what I need. It appears to work fine in NAT mode (internet access, etc.). What can I do to fix this?

The hardware compatibility appears to be still set at version 6.5 - 7.0.

Thanks,

Andrei

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alert101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem.

Try using the Network Configuration (Virtual Network Settings) and check which NIC the bridged network is trying to use. I had to change it from Automatic to the actual adapter in the list. After that everything went back to normal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
orthohin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a trouble shoot process, have a look..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100836...

Orthohin 
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window
0 Kudos
Andreid98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

None of that addressed my issue. Reinstalled VMWare by "repairing" the product rather than removing and reinstalling. Do I have to do that instead?

Thanks,

Andrei

0 Kudos
alert101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem.

Try using the Network Configuration (Virtual Network Settings) and check which NIC the bridged network is trying to use. I had to change it from Automatic to the actual adapter in the list. After that everything went back to normal.

0 Kudos
Andreid98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah!!!! That worked, thank you very much. I did indeed have two network adapters in the host: the actual Broadcom and a LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual network adapter.

Thank you,

Andrei

0 Kudos