VMware Communities
GGBJR
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to v. 6.5.3 from 6.5.2 causes Windows to crash

I recently downloaded the VMware Workstation v. 6.5.3 upgrade (I have been using v. 6.5.2). I am using a Dell desktop with a Vista (64-bit) platform; my Guest system is/was a Vista (32-bit) environment. I use it to run dBase programs and other 16-bit programs. The complex worked perfectly - up until the upgrade.

When I executed the install software, it first informed me that I had an earlier version of VM Workstation that would have to be uninstalled first (which it did). When the install phase started, the computer crashed. Windows gave me a blue screen with a page full of comments, but it only lasted for five seconds before the computer went into a reboot mode.

I started the computer again in Safe mode, and it booted to the desktop okay. Now it will boot normally to the desktop. In Control Panel, I see no VM programs listed. Using Windows Explorer, I see no VM folders under Program Files (x386). Does this mean that I have lost my Guest system as well?

I am a novice when it comes to VMware. I don't know whether to try to execute the downloaded version of 6.5.3 again, or whether I might simply be asking for more trouble. The only change made within the last week was an upgrade to Service Pack 2 within the Guest (Vista 32-bit). I had no problem running the Guest thereafter, however.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem in upgrading to 6.5.3, or whether I am the lucky one. I suppose that I could start from scratch and install v. 6.5.2 all over again, ignoring 6.5.3, and then re-install the Guest system, but I am hoping that there might be a way to retrieve all of the software that was formerly loaded into the Guest.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I regret that I was unable to pull off any of the Windows error messages.

Gordon Biggar

Houston, Texas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have Vista Home Premium, or Ultimate for your host OS?

>When I executed the

install software, it first informed me that I had an earlier version of

VM Workstation that would have to be uninstalled first (which it did).

When the install phase started, the computer crashed. Windows gave me a

>blue screen with a page full of comments, but it only lasted for five

seconds before the computer went into a reboot mode.

In safe-mode you should be able to navigate to your system event log messages. In one of these logbooks you should find your BSOD crash-error message. If you are able to locate the error you can send an excerpt to us so we can determine if the error comes from VMWare Workstation or there must be some problem with your Windows.

>I started the computer

again in Safe mode, and it booted to the desktop okay. Now it will boot

normally to the desktop. In Control Panel, I see no VM programs listed.

Using Windows Explorer, I see no VM folders under Program Files >(x386).

Does this mean that I have lost my Guest system as well?

Because VMWare's installer first removes the 6.5.2 bits AND the installation of the 6.5.3 version crashed your computer, your VMWare is at least imcomplete, maybe not at all available. Therefore you cannot see anything related to VMWare. Your VMs shouldn't be removed or damaged, only the Programfiles\VMWare and your VMWAre icon in the configuration are missing.

0 Kudos
GGBJR
Contributor
Contributor

I knew that I left something out. I am using Home Premium for both the Host and the Guest.

Under Windows Logs:

-System: Shared Access_NAT (Event ID 31004)

-Application: WMI (multiple entries before and after crash; Event ID 10); EventSystem (Event ID 4609)

Gordon

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Can't answer about the BSOD crash; but to clear up the botched uninstall, either run the Workstation installer from a command line with the /c switch, or run the VMware Cleaner - see knowledgebase article 1308.

0 Kudos