VMware Communities
Elad963
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from 6.0.0 to 6.0.1 on Vista, now Unable to use existing VM's (Windows XP)

Why am I have this problem?

After upgrading to VMWorkstation 6.0.1-55017, I am unable to use my existing Workstations; my previous install was v6.0.0-45731. When every I try to install/upgrade the tools it will lock up the workstation; it never finishes installing the new tools; freezes up.

After un-installing (v6.0.1-55017) and reinstalling my old version (v6.0.0-45731), everything works fine, the problem is with the new release only.

Workstation config:

• Windows XP, saved snapshot, with mulitple linked clones (all give same problem, even the master).

Host config:

• Windows Vista Business 64bit

• Asus Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 4GB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
plstigsman
Contributor
Contributor

I have the EXACT same problem on Windows XP, so it's definately a new release problem.

When I start my VM, it hits the processor (in both task managers on host and vm) to 100%. It sits with the "Found new hardware, PCI bridge" or something and crawls. You can get it to respond, but it takes minutes for it to do anything at all. It looks like it locked up when it tried to "upgrade" vmtools. Any idea how to recover?

0 Kudos
LachlanG
Contributor
Contributor

I suffered the same problem upgrading from 6.0.0 to 6.0.2 with a Windows XP host and guest. The guest would freeze when reinstalling the changed hardware, specifically the PCI bridge I think.

I fixed it by starting the guest in safe mode then restarting. It came back up in normal mode and everything has been fine since.

0 Kudos