VMware Communities
JLT2
Contributor
Contributor

Updating Host to Windows 11 22H2 need to uninstall Workstation Pro 15.5.6 before completion

Hi, 

I'm running vmware workstation since a long time on my laptop that i have upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11; and now, I want to upgrade my Host to windows 11 22H2, but to complete this operation, I am prompt to uninstall VMWARE Workstation Pro 15.5.6 (that I don't want to), because, it's not supported on Windows 11.

Is there any way to upgrade the Host without uninstalling vmware workstation ?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Workstation 15 is not supported on Win11 hosts.  And if I were you, I would move to the Tech Preview rather than the latest version 16 builds, as there is better support for Win11.

0 Kudos
JLT2
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks.

Is this version free?

Is there any way ( any procedure ) to upgrade from Workstation 15.5 to Tech preview, and keep my VMs ?

Can I create new VMs with this new platform ?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The Tech Preview is free.  Once it exits the beta/preview stage and becomes a released product (whether it will be a 16.5 or a 17, no one knows yet) that version will require a license.

Yes, all of your existing VMs will still be there and (should) work.  Think of your VMs as Word documents... if you uninstall or upgrade Word, nothing happens to any of your already created documents. 

0 Kudos