VMware Communities
antoale3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unsupported Processor error running Windows 10 guest OS on vmware workstation pro 16.2.4

After installation of vmware workstation pro 16.2.4 on my new Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2 host OS

I received this error trying to start Windows 10 Pro 21H2 guest OS:

"Unsupported Processor" error

I read https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90134 but the workaround is not acceptable since I just bougth this license few days ago.

Is there a plan to address this issue on this release?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation Pro 17 has been out for a week now and you bought 16 just a few days ago?

17 resolves that issue. If you purchased 16 a few days ago, you should be eligible for a free upgrade.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation Pro 17 has been out for a week now and you bought 16 just a few days ago?

17 resolves that issue. If you purchased 16 a few days ago, you should be eligible for a free upgrade.

maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good point, try the newest Vmware Workstation.

0 Kudos
RU5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've just upgraded to Windows 11 and hit this problem. Purchased an upgrade to 17.0 and it still does not resolve it.

0 Kudos
llb1988608
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We purchased the license of version 16 for 8 people. May I ask when we plan to fix this bug for version 16?

0 Kudos
antoale3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to confirm that I was able to upgrade my license to 17 for free and the problem was solved.

0 Kudos
JanosSimon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue.

How have you managed to upgrade the 16.x license to 17.0 for free?

0 Kudos
antoale3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Access customer connect site, license management. then, If you have a license with active basic support entitlement, you should be able to upgrade.

0 Kudos
mrozj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware® Workstation 16 Pro / 16.2.4 build-20089737

Running on host Windows 11 Pro, 64-bit (Build 22621.900) 10.0.22621
Host CPU - i5-1240P
Guest OS/ VM - Windows 10 Pro / 19045

Error - "stop code UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR " - while trying to upgrade / install  KB5019959 -  19045.2251

Switching to single CPU didn't help

0 Kudos
foobar4711
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

16.2.5 solved it for me

joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try 16.2.5, this issue should be fixed in it. 

Thanks,

Gaurav 

Weebsurfer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

16.2.5 cleared it up for me as well.  Have 2 VMs on my desktop and my main one that I keep up to date failed to boot with the Unsupported Processor error. Started up my backup and it worked until I ran windows updates.  Luckily found this thread and saw 16.2.5 mentioned at the bottom by @foobar4711 and @joshiga and I'm back up and running. Thank you!

0 Kudos
ermutigen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

16.2.5 solved it for me as well

0 Kudos