VMware Communities
GeekyOmega
Contributor
Contributor

Unknown Display Problem Experienced with Ubuntu 15.10 running on VMWare Workstation 12 with Surface Pro 4 i7, 16GB

I have the following environment:

• VMWare Workstation 12 running natively on Windows 10
  • Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 15.10 as virtual OS
  • Surface Pro 4, i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD

I cannot get the Ubuntu virtual machine to recognize my display device (Intel iris 540). I tried solutions not specific to the virtual machine without success: mesa-utils and Intel Graphics Linux installer.

Please see my problem given below. The resolution is too high and too small for me to be able to work on it. The real problem is that I have a unknown display and the auto detect settings with VMWare are failing us here?

Munchin-2015-12-29-17-52-56.png

Thanks for your consideration and I am very earnest for any advice or comments that can be offered.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

The virtual machine does not have direct access to the graphics card. It only sees a virtualized graphics adapter.

As such it also doesn't see (and detect) your screen. That part is normal.

Your screen resolution certainly is high, Can't you just change the resolution to a lower resolution?

Doesn't that make it more readable?

If not check under menu option "View" (sorry no VMware Workstation available to me at the moment) there's an option to stretch IIRC.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos