VMware Communities
coldisbetter
Contributor
Contributor

Unity with Linux and Auto start machines with Workstation Pro 16

I've been away from computers for a bit.  I am wondering what the logic or why Unity was removed from the linux version? As I begin learning and actually using Linux, it seems unity is more valuable than ever now.  I need just a few Windows only applications to run, real office 2019, document management software and small utilities.  With that, I could boot my system with Buster, vm Windows, fire up a couple of applications and go. It would be a major boost for linux as well. Solid OS and windows as a guest. 

I'm also wondering why the Auto start function was removed.  As I grow with Linux, I have added a mail server as a guest vm. Works like a champion for a small domain user like me.  Auto start just makes sense to me.  

I am curious if these were purely financial decisions, as one thread for unity stated, or a poke at Linux because it was growing faster than Microsoft wanted and were paid to start trimming critical features.  I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude in any way to any vendor (maybe MS, but unwarranted). 

Thank you for any constructive thoughts you may have. 

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies