VMware Communities
jjoaquina
Contributor
Contributor

Unity not working as it should...

Hello,

Recently I upgraded my workstation from Windows 2003 Server X86 to Windows 2008 Server X64, with no Hyper-V installed. Together with this upgrade I also upgraded my VMWare to the latest 6.5.2 build 15673. Before all this, using my previous Windows version, the unity feature worked as a charm. Now, It starts, no problem at all, the application menu on the host shows correctly but when opening any program from there it opens on the guest window (I can see it after exiting unity), nothing happens on the host window. I'm using as guest Windows XP SP3, all updates applied and VMware Tools version 7.8.5 build 156735. Besides this unity problem, the drag and drop feature also doesn't work.

Thanks for any idea or help.

Jay.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
jjoaquina
Contributor
Contributor

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
rnieland
Contributor
Contributor

Similar results here. Windows 7 RC-1 x64 with XP SP3 32-bit as the guest. When I kick XP into Unity, I can use apps here and there, but after a while I can get an app window to show up, but not respond to any clicks unless I drop out of Unity, then I can use the app. Similarly, I just had an instance where the XP app was minimized, but I couldn't get back to it with Unity engaged.

Not sure if it's a 64-bit thing or not. Mine is on a high-end notebook with an external monitor attached, so I've been chalking it up to the dual displays and changes in the way the Windows 7 taskbar works. About to undock and do a bit more testing to see if I can narrow it down. I'd love to use Windows 7 as my primary notebook OS, as it will really give me a feel for how it works real-world, but I also depend on XP utilities and apps that I have to have available throughout the day.

Beyond these issues, if we could get Unity to engage automatically upon starting a VM (which I have to do from a batch file dropped in the Startup program group), it would be far more seamless. I've tried suspending the VM, then rebooting, but when the VM starts back up, it will not go into Unity mode on its own. Strangely enough, the VMWare Fusion Mac version does work by way of suspending the VM. In fact, if I fire off a Mac OS X restart, it will suspend the VM automatically, restart, then fire it all back up with a big red bow wrapped around it... works great!

Come on, VMWare... love the products, but how about some catch-up now that Win7 is out there in healthy numbers? Get a jump on compatibility before release of 7... sounds like there are other Unity issues beyond just Win7, as well! Microsoft's XP Mode is a very poor effort, so now is your chance to really make Unity shine, making XP Mode irrelevant. In fact, I'd love to see a similar FREE release that slims down some of the full client features. Beat MS at their own game... can't be that hard, really.

0 Kudos
jjoaquina
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else having the same issue?

0 Kudos
sirkirby
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm also running Windows 7 RC x64 and cannot get the Unity app windows to show up. Unity seems to be very touchy with the various version of graphics drivers and the different versions of Windows 7. For instance, prior to doing a clean install of the RC i was running build 7057 with the Nvidia Gforce beta graphics drivers, and Unity worked fine... Now i'm running RC with the release Nvidia Geforce drivers and the app windows will not show.

I've had endless problems with Unity, even with a Vista x64 host...but with vista, I had some success by doing a complete uninstall of the geforce graphics driver and doing a reinstall after vmware was already installed... perhaps i'll try the same thing with my RC install..

And if your hoping to hear from VMWare in these forums regarding unity, it just wont happen...i've been following this for a while. It seems you need to do a support incident if you want any type of response and i'm sure they wont even bother since we are running Windows 7. But i share the same opinion as you... if anything, they should want to work wit us "beta" testers...we are the perfect sandbox for them to get these issues worked out prior to the official windows 7 release...Which we now know is only a few months away from retail.

0 Kudos
herbtea
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Has anybody found a solution to this?

I have the same problem with Win7 Pro x64 RTM host with Vista Ultimate x86 and Win7 x64 guests. I have initiated a support request but so far without a solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
herbtea
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

I just received word from WMware Tech support that the

issue has been escalated to engineering and is believed to be an issue

with the Workstation UI.

I'll post again once there is more info or hopefully a solution.

0 Kudos
laneer
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running a Windows 7 x64 host and having issues with Unity Mode not working correctly. I have an XP SP3 client and the Start Menu shows up Ok and I can launch programs but the Host's mouse does not match up with the client's program window correctly so I'm forced to exit Unity Mode to control the client program. This is disappointing given the fact that the Unity Mode feature was the main reason for me purchasing VMWare.

EDIT: It turned out that it was a host driver issue not VMWare Desktop 7. My host is running on a Dell E6500 notebook with a nVidia NVS160 video card. I updated the driver to nVidia's latest version, 195.62 and it resolved the issue I was experiencing.

0 Kudos
tommyjs
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 7

Similar problem here. I am running Windows Vista 64 on the host machine. The guest machines are Windows XP SP3, Windows 2000 SP 4, Windows NT (ya, I know...). All of these will enter Untiy mode but any running programs are not visible on the host machine. When I exit Unity Mode the programs are then visible in the guest machines. Funny thing is, Unity was once working wonderfully on this system but then mysteriously stopped working. I really need Unity. Common VMWare!

Regards,

Tommy

0 Kudos
rrbrown
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem, but I believe it may be a video driver issue. I'm running 6.5.3 build-185404 on Windows 7 x64. I was running a NVIDIA 7600GT and as I recall the Unity feature was working okay. I upgraded to a NVIDIA 9600GT and Unity no longer works. Perhaps it is an UI issue as was noted previously in this discussion. I had planned on updating to v7 but didn't due to this issue and won't until it is fixed.

0 Kudos
rrbrown
Contributor
Contributor

It's not the video card. I replaced my video card with the previous one and it didn't help. I am running the same version of Workstation on my laptop and work desktop systems with Windows 7 x64 and Unity works in both.

0 Kudos
cficik
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.

I'm running Vista 64 and workstation 7.1.0. applications load in the guest, i can see that when i exit unity, they never pull through to the host.

0 Kudos
rrbrown
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same problem on Windows 7 x64 at home.  The confusing thing was Unity ran fine on my Windows7 x64 system at the office which was the same configuration.  I tried everything I knew of to no end.  After much searching on Google I stumbled upon a little conversation about Sprint SmartView software (I used with my wireless cell card) causing this issue.  This software was installed on my home system but not the office.  I upgraded to the latest version of SmartView and sure enough the problem is cured!

0 Kudos
herbtea
Contributor
Contributor

Well, There was occassional contect from Tech Support but nothing was  resolved and I had for the last year not used this useful bit of VMWare  functionality.

I recevied a followup email from Tech Support that  Engineering had considered this case closed that it was a 3rd party SW  confilict, not our problem. The Tech Support gentleman wished to  continue to assist in troubleshooting and finding the source of the  issue and I agreed.

After Christmas, I had installed my shiny new SSDs for my OS and Apps and had reinstalled my OS and all Apps that I use.

I just finished working with Tech Support today and when he went to use Unity via Webex, lo and behold, it works!

So, reinstalling my OS and apps fixed the issue so I thought I'd pass it along Smiley Happy

Herb T

0 Kudos