VMware Communities
vatAtav
Contributor
Contributor

Unity Taskbar icons on Host are white pages on encrypted VMs having TPM

Hi,

I have seen such a topic "Unity Taskbar icons on Host are white pages" as I tried to find a solution to my problem.

At that topic that user created another VM and problem was solved for him/her, but I did not want to recreate another VM and try etc.

I was skeptic about if that problem was due to the fact that I had to use TPM module because of my company's VPN restrictions.

I had to use encrypted VM together with TPM module so I could use VPN etc. for my company's network.

However when I use Unity mode all the icons of the VM applications on the host taskbar were white pages...

So I have created a clone of my VM (windows 10) and removed TPM and encryption...

When I power on that VM ... in unity mode regular ıcons could be seen at host task bar.

One interesting point is that when I use the encrypted VM which have TPM module and activate unity mode ... the exact icon files which had to be seen in host taskbar are created (or if there was a file before renewed) on the root (which is D:\ for me, I keep my VMs on D drive)

d608da87fda29ae5d1fdc619023a8ee3.ico for OneNote

570305ebcdbc26a660f8c17406c88078.ico for Edge

0b999ef1f5dcd371229b9be0a4ae9096.ico for excel

f1a2274ed94a9152162f345c9e7b0bd6.ico for notepad

etc.

I seems VM prepares the icons but can not make the host  to use them...

I think this is a bug came with the TPM module and encrytion etc. for Win 11

Is there a solution for this?? Probably not at the moment...

Regards and thanks...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lock123
Contributor
Contributor

I seem to have the same issue now that I'm using Windows 11 with the managedVM.autoAddVTPM = "software". Anyone have any luck with a solution yet?

0 Kudos