VMware Communities
patrickjchase
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstall of Workstation 6.5.0 on Vista SP1 32bit fails

Hello;

I'm trying to uninstall Workstation 6.5.0 from the Control Panel, on a Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit system. The uninstall process consistently aborts (progress bar goes backwards and then uninstall exits) just after the dialog asking whether to retain registry entries for licenses. The uninstall fails regardless of the answer I give at that dialog. I am clicking "allow" when UAC asks me whether to allow the uninstaller to proceed. The event viewer shows "uninstall failed" from the MsiInstaller subsystem with return code 1603.

Has anybody seen this before? Is there a "cleaner" tool available that can completely remove workstation after a botched uninstall?

Thanks,

Patrick Chase

0 Kudos
1 Reply
patrickjchase
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to uninstall by taking the following steps:

1. Do a "repair" installation using the installer .exe (this undid the effects of the failed uninstallation attempts)

2. DO an "uninstall" from the installer .exe instead of from the control panel

I think it's a bit unfortunate that uninstallation from the control panel (the default approach that most Windows users would take in the absence of any other instructions) doesn't work, but the ultimate workaround turned out to be very straightforward as such things go. At least I didn't have to hand-hack the registry...

Rgds

Patrick

0 Kudos